For the benefit of my non-Indian friends, Zafrani Malai Paneer refers to Indian cottage cheese cubes cooked in a delicate cashew and cream based gravy infused with the richness of saffron.
It sounds grand. I know. It is meant to.
This amazing recipe has the power to be a showstopper on your menu especially when having people over. I often use it as a ‘lift me up’ when I want to enjoy a special meal at home.
The secret lies in the boiled onions.
Zafrani Malai Paneer
Level of Cooking: Medium
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
400gms Paneer, cubed
2 medium Onions, boiled and blended
a handful of cashews, blended in half a cup of water to form a paste
2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
2 Green chillies, slit in the middle
1 teaspoon Ginger paste
1 teaspoon Garlic paste
1/2 cup Yogurt
1/2 cup Cream
4 Black peppercorns
1 inch Cinnamon stick
1 Bay leaf
A pinch of Saffron (kesar)
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and bay leaf. Once they splutter, add the boiled onion paste and cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
2. Continue to keep on low flame. Add green chillies, ginger paste and garlic paste, and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add yoghurt and saffron. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame or till oil starts to separate.
4. Next add cardamom powder, garam masala, salt, cream and cashew paste. Let the flavours combine for a minute on low flame.
5. Lastly, add the paneer cubes and gently swirl. Enjoy with naan.